Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, October 25, 2010

Common Redpolls; Norra Järvafältet; 26th October 2010

A typical first year Common Redpoll. Note the streaked flanks, off white wingbar, general lack of brown or buff tones, largish bill and rather solid build....


Difficult to say with certainty whether this is an adult female or a sub adult male. Note te pink flush on the throat and upper breast. A cracking bird.

Again, a classic first year type. A well marked bird this one. The rather grey and white appearance of the bird is typical. Lesser Redpoll occurs in small numbers in the area, these birds show browninsh tones in the plumage and variable buff coloration, often most noticable around the ear covert's, nape and throat. Size in both species is variable, though in general Lesser Redpoll appears smaller than Common and of daintier build...


Having spent the day around Barkarby I had a wander about 30M Kärret without seeing a whole lot. I walked back for the bus late in the afternoon and was delighted to find a large flock of 160 Common Redpoll fedding close to the feeding station on seed low down. The birds eventually proved approachable and I managed some nice shots in light that was a little difficult....

No comments: