Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, October 25, 2010

Barkarby/Norra Järvafältet; 26th October 2010

Adult Goshawk



Autumn colours seem to be the perfect backdrop for Yellowhammer...


Common Redpoll flock


A Blue Tit extracts a meal from sunflowers...



Autumn leaves...
A day out at Barkarby today, just beside the airstrip. I was saddened to see building has progressed rapidly to the south of this site, much has been lost of what was a superb area for Redpolls and Twite in winter, as well as passage migrants. An Isabelline Wheatear graced this same area a year ago. Apartment blocks and a retirement home now stand in the area and a lot of the seed producing plants are no more.
I moved off to the south and was heartened slightly to find a large planted area of sunflowers just to the south, which I would guess were planted for the birds by the excellent Norra Järvafältet group in response to the disappering habitat just to the south. A lot of birds had been attracted by the sunflowers rich yield of seeds. Yellowhammers were fairly abundant and were flushed as I went. A highlight was an adult male Goshawk in the trees to the west which gave me a lovely view through the scope for five minutes. A flock of Common Redpoll provided interest, up to 100 birds were carefully scrutinized for Arctic Redpoll, alas no joy today. Chaffinch, Greenfinch and a single Twite were also noted before I headed off. A Black Woodpecker was nice flying overhead calling, a typical view of this wonderful bird.
I spent a couple of hours at the site sketching Redpolls on a rather glorious sunny autumn afternoon, it won't be too long until the big freeze comes and it was very nice to sit out drawing for a while...

No comments: