Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Migrant Hawker; Angarn; 1st September 2010






A couple of images of a Migrant Hawker from Angarn today. Quite unusual to find this species perched, let alone be cooperative for photography, this individual may well be and the end of it's life span. A male this and a lovely insect, my first decent shots of the species...
Initially thought this might be a Southern Hawker, thanks to Phil Benstead for the comments left below!

2 comments:

Phil Benstead said...

hi alan
this is actually Aeshna mixta or migrant hawker. Note the short anthumeral stripes, overall blue colouration, the yellow 'nail' mark on the second segment of the abdomen. Southern hawker (cyanea) is green with a blue tail tip and has full antehumeral stripes.
cheers p

Alan Dalton said...

Hi Phil,

Many thanks Phil.

I am new to Dragonflies and damselflies, help with ID is much appreciated. My recent purchase of a macro lens has seen me give these beautys a lot more attention, may need help with ID fron time to time. Found your blog recently and greatly enjoyed it, keep it up...

Thanks again,

Alan