Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Falsterbo; 29th September 2010

Thermals full off Buzzards, an amazing spectacle...



Fyren Lighthouse just after dawn...



White Tailed Eagle, a young bird...



Migrating Jay; early to see this species moving in numbers, potentially an eruptive species..


A couple of Red Kites way up there in the air...



A stunning young Hobby hunts insects overhead...



The markings on the undercarriage and lack of cinnamon vent confirm this as a young bird...



Supersonic flying machine. A quite incredible bird to watch in the air...



Falsterbo Bird Observatory.


At Nabben yet again for dawn, though today a freezing cold northerly seemed to have affected the birds and little migraton was evident early in the morning. The exception were Eider offshore and Blue Tit, both of which were moving in numbers. Woodpigeon passage was phenomenal, huge flocks swept south all day at high altitude. Raptor passage was almost non existent until the sun broke free from cloud at 9am, when Common Buzzard and Red Kite began to move, though today they were moving along a line further inland. I decided to move position and made my way to Kolabacken, a move which paid off, the raptors were now viewable at closer range, if a little higher up than usual. About 900 Common Buzzard passed in just two hours along with 52 Red Kites. Best of all were 3 Rough Legged Buzzards, very nice to see them indeed, theis white tails gleaming in the early morning sunlight. Another bonus along the way were two White Tailed Eagle, huge in comparison to Common Buzzard and easy to pick out. The wind began to switch to a more easterly vector at around 11am., passage came to a halt as suddenly as it had started.
Though little was moving I managed to pick out some nice bird over the rest of the day. Some Red Kite lingered, with the odd bird migrating over the sea, likewise Common Buzzard, the odd flock appearing every now and then. A real bonus late in the afternoon, a dark bird, which I nearly passed off for a Red Kite drifted north, far up above. Something made me look twice and I realised I was looking at my first swedish Black Kite, a rarity, though rather regular at this site in very small numbers. Barnacle Geese were moving all day in skeins overhead, though it was Jay that caught my attention, several flocks moving high overhead. Mistle Thrush were also numerous today, 46 birds were logged today, not a bad total in light of recent days. Woodlarks were migrating too, as were corvids. The day ended well with a stunning juvenile Hobby which gave a great display around me as it hawked insects ove my head. My last full day at the site today, as I sit here on the laptop I can hear Black Woodpecker calling outside the observatory. Just gonna go have a look..

Selected totals as follows; 1,116 Common Buzzard, 64 Red Kite, 242 Sparrowhawk, 2 White Tailed Eagle, 3 Rough Legged Buzzard, 1 Hobby, 52 Jay, 7 Raven, 210 Jackdaw, 132 Rook, 46 Mistle Thrush, 9 Coal Tit, 9 Woodlark, 1,260 Barnacle Goose, 13,680 Wodpigeon, 23 Chiffchaff, 312 Blue Tit, 19 Common Crossbill, 1,240 Swallow.

No comments: