Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Falsterbo; 24th September 2010

Kestrel Portrait



A lovely confiding bird this juvenile...



Kestrel juvenile in flight....



Hobby perched in a tree beside the observatory...

Flew from Stockholm at 10am, two buses later from Malmo airport and a gruelling walk with all the gear I dragged down and I got out birding at the site at 3pm. Falsterbo is rather incredible, a migration bottleneck of some fame. The site is famous mainly for raptor migration, though passerine migration is very spectacular too. I visited Falsterbo in 1991 for a day and have always wanted to return, here I was!
The day of arrival was overcast and there had not been a lot of passage that morning as it happened, and most raptors had ceased migrating. The first bird I set eyes on was the wonderfully confiding Kestrel posted above, a nice start. Honey Buzzards followed, two juvenile birds floated high over my head to the southwest. The rest of the evening was spent watching raptor passage, Sparrowhawks would total more than 85 birds after three hours, best of all though were 5 Hobby, two of which performed superbly, impossibly fast in the air as they hunted insects on the wing. Just 4 Common Buzzard were noted before I headed back to the bird observatory where two nice bonuses awaited, Black and Lesser Black-backed Woodpecker, very nice indeed thank you! Off to bed after a bite before an early morning start...

No comments: