Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

A days birding; Angarn; 1st September 2010

Post Dawn; Mist at Angarn.

Arrived at Angarn just after dawn to breathtaking scenery, as early morning mist rose to the warmt of the early morning sun. A glorious morning followed as I made my way onto the reserve, Goldcrests flitted through the bushes as Goldfinch flew overhead. A Sparrowhawk blasted across my path, an actively hunting bird which I caught up with a short while later, when it appeared on a post not to far from me. Three were noted throughout the day, often mobbed by Hooded Crows and Magpies, drawing my attention.


Sparrowhawk
Great Snipe was present the past three days and I spent a couple of hours combing Lundbydyket looking for them, three birds reported, though they proved difficult to flush over a huge area as I was alone and I failed to see one. A lovely sight in the early morning sun was an adult male Marsh Harrier which flew past me, lit by slanting early morning sun. A juvenile was also seen here, both birds were present for the rest of the day over a wide area.

Marsh Harrier; Male

The dyke itself proved raher worth my attention, the first bird to show was a juvenile Whinchat, the bird caught hovering over the grass by my camera as it scolded at my presence...

Whinchat; a juvenile bird..

Then a familar low "chek" and the first Bluethroat of the day was flushed, red bases to the tail really catching the eye as they dived into cover. I pushed along the length of the ditch and finally counted no less than six birds along it's length. I had brilliant flight views, but getting these birds to show on the deck is never easy and I had to perservere for a while in order to get a shot. Finally a bird showed at the bottom of the ditch, briefly in the open and my wish was granted...


Bluethroat; a juvenile female, males show a little blue on the breast...


Further along several Reed Bunting were flushed and carefully checked, Rustic Bunting is a species one can reasonably expect at this time of year, alas, no joy on this occasion...


Reed Bunting


After that I decided to concentrate on Byskberget, hoping for Hobby. Several Snipe, all of the common variety were seen briefly in flight. Tree Pipits passed overhead in migration, calling constantly, as did Yellow Wagtails. Red Backed Shrikes were in evidence, five birds noted here, before the silece was broken as a large flock of Greylag Geese flew onto the wetalnd from the surrounding fields. Over three hundred of these birds were counted today...


Part of a Greylag Goose flock that passed over head, a deafening racket!



Greylag Trio


I moved on around the reserve, the circumference of which is about twelve kilometres. More Red Backed Shrikes were encountered, a family of four young this time. The light was still good so I took a few photos, though the birds were wary of me and stayed their distance.



Red Backed Shrike; a juvenile bird.


And so the day went. Marsh Tit, Crested Tit and a calling Black Woodpecker were noted before a Green Woodpecker gave me a great view as it flew right in front of me whilst calling. Then a superb juvenile Hobby tore south over the reeds, grabbing the odd dragonfly as it went. The day was heating up now and insects were active, I spent a while taking some macro insect images whilst I could. Further on and Common Buzzard were a feature of the day, two pairs soaring and calling high overhead. Jays called in the woods and harvested acorns, Lapwings were seen on the marsh and a distant White Tailed Eagle was seen briefly. At the north end of the reserve more Tree Pipits, the a flock of Bullfinch, a Bluethroat, Siskin overhead, another Bluethroat, Common Whitethroat, so it went...



Common Buzzard


A wonderful day was cut short by rain closing in, but not before no less than five Hobbies were watched hawking high up over the reedbeds, a wonderful sight. News that three Great Snipe had finally put in a brief appearance came to me as the rain strengthened, happily I had seen one yesterday and avoided huge dissapointment as a result. Decided to head home, content with a really nice days birding....






No comments: