Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Ågesta; 2nd September 2010

Goldfinches.

Ågesta the venue this morning and arrived an hour after dawn. On arrival Tree Pipits were overhead calling, along with Yellow Wagtail. Almost straight away I picked up a Bluethroat in cover, it showed itself briefly before dissapearing. Goldfinches were also seen well, including this adult feeding a young bird...


Red Backed Shrike
I moved on after a while to the crossroads, an area good for passerines. It proved very busy, Willow Warbler, Red Backed Shrikes and White Wagtails were most obvious, over 200 of the latter noted...
Willow Warbler

After a few minutes the familiar call of Bluethroat was heard, not long later the views of flying birds diving into cover came, red tail bases striking in the morning sun. Better views came eventually after I has settled in the area and manged a few reasonable images. In the end I saw six of these birds over the course of the morning.

Bluethroat perched in the open...


...a more typical view of the species in cover.


Another bird which was prevelent today was Tree Pipit, mostly overhead migrating, the buzzing call drawing eyes upwards. A few were found on the ground however and this bird allowed a few photos as it approached water to bathe....

Tree Pipit


Yellow Wagtail is another common migrant passing overhead, again I manged to locate a few on the ground, in company of horses. Five birds fed around the feet of the animals and I grabbed a few shots as they did...


Yellow Wagtail


After a while I decided to check the ditches towards the road, to no avail as it turned out. The search was to provide reward all the same upon my return across the fields. I noticed a Woodpigeon in the distance, then behind it another bird, a Goshawk. The hawk broke off the chase after the pigeon had seen it and headed over the field, straight past were I stood. A really nice moment and a great photo opportunity. The bird was seen agin a couple of times more distantly before I left to head for Skeppsbron to do my daily check on the gulls there, though nothing of note there again today...



Juvenile Goshawk







No comments: