Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Hällögarn; Vasterbotten; July 30th 2010

A stunning sunset on the first evening...


Arctic Tern juv.

Red Breasted Merganser and an enormous brood!


Common Tern juv.


Arctic Tern juv.?


Canada Geese


The first day on Hällögarn, an tiny island on the baltic coast of northern Sweden, about 30 km north of Umeå. The day was one of heavy rain and I could not get out until late evening as a rsult. This trip was intended as a sketching holiday, so the photos taken are not all of high quality.Common Sandpipers were evident, along with Comon Terns and Black Headed Gulls. Around the cabin I locted a Pied Flycatcher, before moving to the north tip where most birds are to be found. Terns breed here, a good colony of Commons on the site, Looking through these I noted two juvenile Arctic Terns among them, though I am not sure if they do in fact breed here, these could be passage birds at this time of the year.
A couple of Greenshank were located, along with a few Wood Sandpipers. Greylag Goose and Canada Goose both present with young, as were Goosanders and Red Breasted Mergansers, both with very large broods.A female Velvet Scoter was a nice find off the west of the island before darkness set in....


No comments: