Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Yellow Legged Gull; Skeppsbron; 25th July 2010

Note the marked underwing here and the rather pale headed appearance....


Direct comparison with a Lesser Black-backed gull of the same age. A bigger bird, though the Lsser Black-backed is probably male and small. Generally a strikingly pale bird...

A good view of the uppertail pattern, a solid dark sub terminal band. Tail whitish with some dark flecks...


A good view of the bill. Gonydeal angle pronounced as in Herring Gull...


In flight the secondaries rather dark, also note the inner primaries and the lack of a noticable pale panel as in Herring Gull...


A rather leggy Gull, as seen here...also a good shot showing the dark underwing.


Another comparison shot. Note the long primary projection akin to fuscus...


Upperparts in flight...


Again the dark marings on the underwing. Not the markings on the flanks and undertail, the upper breast also marked...


Uppertail detail...




Images here of a Yellow Legged Gull today at Skeppsbron, a real rarity so far north, a first calender bird. The bird was found at 2pm. today by a local birder, a very good find indeed. I wandered down to the site at 6pm. unaware the bird had been seen and was suprized to see a group on birders at Tullhus 1. I was duly informed that a Yellow Legged Gull had been seen though was not around as yet. There were new gulls to see today, two new first year Lesser Black-backed Gulls and a first calender Herring Gull, the first of the year. I started feeding bread and after a few minutes a 1st calender bird appeared, largish and very pale around the head. After a while watching the bird I was happy this was indeed my first Swedeish Yellow Legged Gull. The bird was cooperative and remained close in, allowing great views of it's features. Very instructive bird for me this and delighted to see it today....



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures! I often see and photograph them in Rome-Italy but it is much more exciting to see them in Stockholm where it is possible to compare them with other gull species! I particularly like your pictures with the two species of same age together.
Best regards,
Dirk Van Gansberghe

Alan Dalton said...

Hi Dirk,
Nice to here from you, I remember you from Skeppsbron last year, I hope your well. Glad to here you are enjoying the blog. Will be keeping a close eye on this site this autumn, no doubt lots more Gulls to come.
Best Wishes,
Alan.