Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tyresta; 20th April 2010

Siskin; Large numbers of these birds seen today in the pine woods...

Out early today, starting off at Tyresta National Park, a huge area of pristine forest south east of Stockhom city. On arrival a few Goosander and Goldeneye picked up on lake Flaten, though no early Black Throated Divers as I had hoped for. Moved into the forest in search of woodland species. Siskin were everywhere, singing from the treetops. Other common species noted were Blue tit, Great Tit, Song Thrush, Treecreeper, Bullfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker. Better came in the form of Black Woodpecker, two drumming males were heard, as well as a female over the trail briefly. I entered the woods to investigate another Black Woodpecker which sounded as if it was excavating a nest hole, only to flush the best bird of the day, a female Black Grouse...


Slavonian Grebe; Elusive on this small lake and stayed in cover, always seemed aware of my presence...

Onward to a small lake in the centre of the woods I came across last year, the target bird had returned. A single Slavonian Grebe was picked out, though was rather elusive and remained in cover at some distance. Several Goldeneye also at this site, along with a female Sparrowhawk and a pair of Common Buzzard. Walked a few more miles of trails before leaving the woods and heading for Tyresö Slott...


Great Crested Grebe; now on the breeding sites...

On arrival at the Slott it was apparent a lot of birds had returned. Lots of Great Crested Grebe on site, at least 8 pairs present. A Green Woodpecker, 2 Hawfinch, a Brambling and a male Goshawk also noted...

Osprey overhead, a feature of birding in Sweden at the moment, a great time tp get photo's of this magnificent bird...


Osprey at the begining of a stoop, the bird took a Bream on this occasion...


Common Buzzard, finally within range of the camera...

Late highlights included fishing Ospreys over the water, watched them for some time until they both took a Bream each. A distant Caspian Tern was scoped and sketched for a while before I packed up my gear. A pair of Common Buzzard rounded off the afternoon nicely and allowed a photo today for a change...



No comments: