Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Angarn; 15th April 2010

Greylag in flight, perhaps the best shot of the day...


Angarn again visited today in good light, hoped for a few photos. A tough day birdwise, northerly winds meant little migration and birds were hard to come by at times. Alot of ground covered over eight hours. An early highlight was a pair of Common Crossbill overhead as I made my way to the reserve. A Common Buzzard also floated overhead before the noise of the Greylag Geese and Black Headed Gulls filled my senses. A lot of these birds on the reserve. Teal, Wigeon, a Gadwall pair were picked out before I picked up an Osprey drifting in from the north....


Quartering the water from overhead as it floated over my head....


Hovering over the water...


Always a great bird to watch when they hunt. Had hoped for a catch in front of me, but alas not to be and that photograph still awaits my lens at close range...


Eventually the Osprey moved on, so I did to, only to run into another hunting raptor, this time a Sparrowhawk. The bird had ambushed a flock of 30 Starling and pushed the flock out over the marsh. The raptor took station over the flock and drove them downwards towards the water, where one happless bird hit the surface. Not to be put off the hawk plunged straight into the water in the manner of an Osprey and lifted the hapless Starling out, happily flying pst me as it exited the scene!
Starling in the talons, the bird moves away to feed at it's leisure. An amazing hunting display by this bird...

My last view of the bird through the camera lens....


After that things were a little dull for some time, regular fare such as mallard and Coot, the odd passerine noted, though all common species and no notable migrants. Later in the evening I heard a Water Rail call, before a couple of distant Cranes were noted moving to the north. An enjoyable day all the same, with some memorable moments...


Black Headed Gull in Flight.






1 comment:

Costea Andrea Mihai said...

amazing moment you cach!!! i like very much this noble bird...excellent capture!!!
thanks for sharing!