Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Purple Sandpiper's; Howth Harbour; Dublin; March 2010


















One of two species I wanted to get a good image of on this trip to Dublin, Purple Sandpiper. Howth Harbour is a super spot for this species and it did not let me down, eight birds were present along the East Pier. The best of the images posted here, very happy to get them too. The species is found along rocky coasts and piers in winter, often in the company of Turnstone. It is rather scarce in Ireland, though with a little local knowledge usually not hard to find in small numbers...


2 comments:

JACS said...

Hi Alan

Very nice shots. I was looking for this bird in Howth, last february, but I couldn´t see any, the weather was awful. ¿This one you show was inside the harbour?

Best regards

Jose

Alan Dalton said...

Hi Jacs,

These birds are almost always present on the east pier on the outside of the harbour, walk dowm the pier and start to look along the seaward side at the point where the pier turns leftwards. The sandpipers are to be found from this point onwards, as far as the end of the pier on occasion, often in loose company with Turnstones. Hope this helps...