Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sandhamn; 3rd Febuary 2010

Common Gull; this bird in it's 2nd calender year..


A shot from the ferry...

Seriously cold conditions here on the outer archipelago makes life hard for Mute Swans.


Another shot from the ferry of the archipelago...



Crested Tit; a poor photo of this hard to photograph species....



A trip the Sandhamn proved very hard work in truly baltic conditions, the outer archipelago is experiencing some of the worst winter freezes of recent years and deep snow and thick ice made birding very tough. Had hoped to photograph White Tailed Eagles today, though the reality was these birds saw me coming a long way off as I struggled to approach through deep snow and never let me approach within a close enough range to obtain a quality shot. A few days previously a couple of Mute Swan corpses had attracted a dozen of these birds to feed, the corpes I found today and had been picked clean of flesh, the birds now stationed about the island in smaller numbers and difficult to approach. Birds were very scarce, a single female Smew the best the island had to offer today. Crested Tit, Greenfinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit and a single Waxwing were the only landbirds noted initially. Mute Swan, Goldeneye, Goosander, Black Headed Gull, Greater Black Backed Gull, Common and Herring Gull were also noted around the island. A single Meadow Pipit was a real surprise, not common at all in witer in these conditions. A total of 5 White Tailed Eagles noted.
All in all a really tough days birding, though nevertheless a day of striking winter scenery and very enjoyable despite the hardship....

No comments: