Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Råstasjön; 20th January 2010

Grey Heron. On arrival at the site came across 38 of these birds congregated about a small area of open water at the south end of the lake. Tough times at the moment for these birds, the big freeze means open water is very rare and feeding is very hard for these birds as a result...


Redwing. Quite a few noted today, this bird approaching open water to drink. Still trying to get a quality shot of this species, decided to spread some apples in the back garden this evening, hopefully these will attract a few of these birds over the next few days...

Grey Heron in flight...

Made the tripe to Råstasjön today in the hope of photographing a very obliging Water Rail, the bird being present at the north end of the lake where a small stream runs from the lake, a rare area of open water resulting. The bird didn't show! The fact that it has been giving itself up to every photographer to visit the site over the past fortnight had caused a high degree of optimism on my part of gaining some images of this hard to see species, sod's law prevailed in the end. A few shots grabbed of Grey Heron and Redwing all the same. May try for this bird again should it show again....

No comments: