Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, December 07, 2009

Isabelline Wheatear; Barkarby; 7th December 2009

Record shot. An appalling day for photography, dark overcast conditions with drizzle. This bird was a remarkable find so late in the year...

Amazing news of an Isabelline Wheatear broke yesterday, the bird found on some waste ground in Barkarby, Norra Järvafältet. The species is a major rarity in here in Sweden, this record all the more remarkable for the late date of the find, the bird has perhaps been in the area for some time and remained undetected until it was noticed on the roadside by a birder who happened to drive past!
Arrived around noon in terrible conditions, the day was remarkably dark with light drizzle prevailing. The bird proved rather difficult to see at first, staying on the ground in knee high vegetation most of the time. Over the course of the day however I managed some good views through the scope in order to take in the salient features. One fairly lousy record shot posted above. Will perhaps return on Wednesday when the crowds have died down to attempt a better shot of the bird should it remain in the area..

Edit; Despite best efforts later in the week I did not manage a decent shot of this bird, have added a link below to video footage of the bird taken by Magnus L....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMCz-ThXn-M&feature=related

No comments: