Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, September 07, 2009

Gulls; Skeppsbrön; 8th September 2009

1st Calender Common Gull

Fuscus Lesser Black Backed Gull

Yellow Legged Gull or just a pale 1st Calender Argentatus Herring Gull?? Pale head and neck, longish narrow dark bill and rather long primary projection fit the former, though I had nagging doubts about the tertial fringes on this bird....
In actual fact I am now wondering this bird is a 1st calender fuscus Lesser Black Backed Gull of a paler morph, which are estimated to make up about 10% of the fuscus population. The head and belly of these birds appear very white and colder toned to the plumage prevails. In terms of structure Lesser Black Backed Gull certainly fits the bill perfectly with regard to this bird...
The only remaining option is another Caspian Gull, which would be my third this week!

Adult Argentatus Herring Gull
A few shots of some of the regular gull species taken today at Skeppsbrön, the Caspian Gull not present later in the afternoon. Have decided to start building up some photographic libraries of Gull species on Picassa Web Albums, with a view to eventually securing a series of good references with regard to all plumages in each species up until adulthood. Should learn a great deal along the way whilst I'm at it. First of the shots entered today...
One interesting bird noted in the form of a possible Yellow Legged Gull, although I was not sure of the identification of this bird until further research on the tertial fringes of the species in 1st calender plumage, which leads me to now believe the bird is either a very pale fuscus Lesser Black Backed Gull or yet another Caspian Gull...

No comments: