Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Friday, June 19, 2009

Angarn; 19th June 2009

Yellow Wagtail, a male bird of the prevalent blue headed form. A lot of these about, very vocal at the moment whilst they are feeding young.

Marsh Harrier, female type showing moult on the inner primaries

Redstart, an adult male, a nice bonus picked up whilst waiting on the bus home!

Green Woodpecker, my first image of the species, also put in an appearance at the bus stop, landing on a telegraph post across the road from me. Hopefully my days of frustrating glimpses of this species whilst I am carrying a camera are over and I will soon get some good quality photos of these lovely birds....

Pied Flycatcher, male bird, seeing a lot of these this week...

A female Yellow Wagtail calling...

Angarn Marsh. The reserve looks really well at the minute, water lavels are good and lots of lush vegetation everywhere. Looking forward to returning wader passage here in a few weeks time...

Osprey immature, the local pair have fledged four young this year and all six birds were a wonderful sight fishing over the marsh....



Midsummer trip to Angarn today was pleasant, some good birds and reasonable weather helping events. Upon arrival 6 Osprey where immediatly picked up over the reserve, two adults and their four young as it happened. Watched these birds for a while as they fished before I was treated to views of one of the birds being mobbed by an adult Hobby high over head! 4 Marsh Harriers then appeared from the reeds and the sky was suddenly full of raptors...
Yellow Wagtails everywhere at the minute, all busily feeding fledglings. Other birds noted included Wheatears, Wood Sandpipers, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler and Reed Bunting. A while later I was listening to the raucous song of 2 male Great Reed Wablers. the best bird of the day, though not seen.
A double hit of good fortune saw me pick up a cracking male Redstart and an adult male Green Woodpecker from the bus stop on the way home, managed some photos of these two before heading off!




No comments: