Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hobbies, Östra Styran, 27th May 2009

A Hobby hawking a dragonfly in mid air, this shot took four hours to get. Finally got the image I wanted thanks to four of these beautiful falcons feeding over the reeds at the reserve.

Hobby feeding in the air, the prey a dragonfly.

Hobby in flight...

Hobby feeding on the wing. Watching these birds hunting and feeding on the wing is a breathtaking sight, these birds are the ultimate flying machine...

Another shot of a feeding Hobby, one of the easiest moments to photograph them, whilst they are reasonably stationary in the air...

Hobby in flight, holding food in the talons.

Accelarating upwards after spotting prey...

Hobby taking a dragonfly in mid air, the tail fanned and pushed forward helds to slow the bird down, The longer I watched I realized the birds actually use the tail to help trap the dragonfly, the bird almost folding over the prey in mid air on occasion...


Östra Styran was the destination today after news broke of a Red Footed Falcon was found the previous day. Was impressed by this site on my first visit, a large wetland with huge expanses of reedbeds, along with an superb observation tower. Unfortunatly the Red Footed Falcon was gone, but there was a huge bonus in the form of 4 Hobbies, all of which were hawking for dragonflies over the reserve. Left the tower in order to concentrate on photographing these wonderful birds. Have seen these stunning falcons many times before, but never had views like today of what I can only describe as supersonic flying machines. Had truly breathtaking views as the birds hunted round me, an amazing desplay of aerial grace that will live long in the memory. Got the photos I wanted in the end and was truly delighted to get some good images of these birds as they hunted prey before me..




No comments: