Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ågesta; 21st May 2009

Male Swallow.

Ågesta meadows are now strewn with dandelions as far as the eye can see....

Canada Goose leading her new family over the meadows.

Swift, large numbers have now arrived and are constantly hawking insects over the reserve..

Ågesta Reserve.


A short afternoon trip to Ågesta reserve was a nice way to spend an afternoon, the reserve is ablaze with dandelions at the minute, the meadows surrounding the wetland sparkling with spring colour. This compact reserve is an excellent birding site and boasts an impressive list of rarities and a nice variety of breeding species. Best today was a calling Spotted Crake, unusual to hear on of these birds in daylight in my experience. Swallows, Martins and Swifts were everywhere overhead, Yellow Wagtails fed in the meadows and Sedge Warblers sang from the reedbeds. Raptors were represented by an Osprey fishing, a pair of Buzzards and a single Goshawk with prey clutched in its talons high over the marsh. Thrush Nightingales provided a backdrop of song throughout. All in all a very nice afternoon....

No comments: