Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pygmy Owl; Norra Järvafältet; 26th March 2009

A classic glaring pose...

Calling constantly at just 17 metres range...





The second, more distant view, albeit in better light than the later close range views...


News that a Pygmy Owl had been heard calling yesterday evening saw me make the trip to Faboda Gård in Norra Järvafältet in the hope of connecting with the bird, which has been present at this site for a number of years in late March and into April. Arrived at 2.30pm. and began to search for the bird without ant sign of it until it suddenly started to call at 3.35pm. This year really has been good to me so far and my run of good birds was about to continue. I was thrilled to get a view from around 50 metres way as the bird sat atop a large spruce calling, before dissapearing into the woods in silence. A hour later the bird was lured back by imitations of its call and really put on a great show, finally sitting just 17 metres away whilst giving its characteristic call. Fading light meant the shots would be a little lacking in colour, but I was nevertheless delighted to get what are by far my best shots of this brilliant species to date...

No comments: