Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Illa De Ons; 11th September 2008

Serin (male)

Illa de Ons

Illa de Ons

Illa de Ons is a national park off the north-west coast of Spain in Gallicia and the location on a day trip whilst on a weeks holiday visiting friennds in the port of Canges. A quite stunning location complete with rugged cliffs and surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean. No surprise then that seabirds were a feature with several Balearic Shearwater and Cory's Shearwater noted, my first in a number of years. Medaterranian Gull, Sandwich Tern, Yellow Legged Gull, Shag and Turnstone were other species noted...
On the island itself passage migration was apparent, Pied Flycatcher were the first migrants seen, feeding in the garden around the village. Several Firecrest were then picked up, calling as they too fed. Spent a while sketching before moving on to look for more. Coal tits, Willow Warblers and Swallows soon followed, every piece of suitable cover was found to be swarming with Blackcaps. Sardinian Warbler, Serin, Linnet, Bullfinch, Stonechat and Whitethroat were perhaps resident on the island. Two Fan tailed Warblers were found on some long grass higher up on the island and gave good views as their curiousity got the better of them.
All too quickly the last ferry was due and I had to leave. If I am honest not a huge variety of species, but throw in the location and it's rather impressive appearance and the day was memorable. It had one more surprise in store for me in the form of a real spanish rarity as the ferry docked on the mainland, a second calender Iceland Gull was a total surprise in the outer harbour, loafing on the rocks with local Yellow Legged Gulls!

No comments: