Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Illa de Cies; 15th September 2008

Wall Lizard Sp.

Little Egret


Illa de Cies; View from lighthouse...


Pied Flycatcher


Illa de Cies; View north of lighthouse...


Black Redstart


Illa de Cies; one of eight beaches...




Illa de Cies surprised me in one way in regard to it's sister island, Illa de Ons, in that it was even more stunning to look at. Impossibly beautiful in places and with some of the best scenery I have ever witnessed anywhere in the world.

Again migrants were a feature with Pied Flycatcher, Firecrest, Willow Warbler, Whitethroat, Bullfinch, Blackcap and Common Buzzards noted. An early surprise was a Kingfisher feeding from rocks in a lagoon near the pier. Cory's Shearwaters passed north at sea a little distantly for ideal viewing on this occasion. Black Redstarts were a feature in the rocky areas close to low cover, where Sardinian Warblers and Fan Tailed Warblers were also picked up too. Higher on the island, whilst making a gruelling climb to the lighthouse good view were had of Short Toed Treecreepers, located initially on call among the pine trees. Skinks were everywhere as I approached the lighthouse where I paused to take in a completely breathtaking view. As if the scene was not enough in itself I was thrilled when a Lanner Falcon passed me at eye level as it flew north along the atlantic cliffs, a lifer for me and totally unexpected, a thrilling sight in every way. Made my way back to the pier happily, stopping to sketch as I went before boarding the ferry after a great days birding.

2 comments:

Dale said...

those are some gorgeous beaches Alan

wowcthis said...

I had a spotted flycatcher nest in my garden in Scotland this year. They successfully raised 4 young.