Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Angarn; 28th April 2008

Yellow Wagtail

Wood Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper
Male Ruff

Lapwing

Greylag Pair

Cranes migrating


A really enjoyable day out at Angarn in glorious spring sunshine today. The reserve is in pristine condition, with perfect water lavels and bird activity was high all day. Waders were a feature, with 8 male Ruff a highlight. 7 Wood Sandpiper were also present feeding along the margins, for once they were remarkably approachable and allowed me my best shots of the species to date. A booming Bittern provided a great backdrop to the scene as it called through the evening from the reedbeds. 2 Eurasion White-fronted Geese were notable, as were 4 Marsh Harriers, both pairs nest building. Summer passerines were also noted, resplendent Yellow Wagtails the best, 3 were seen during the day, singing on territory. My first Willow Warblers of the year also heard and small numbers of newly arrived Swallows hawked insects overhead. 9 Slavonian Grebes provided a touch of vivid colour and gave superb views.
Other species noted included 7 Cranes, 4 Gadwall, 1 Little Grebe, 6 Shoveler, 8 Pochard, Sparrowhawk, Common buzzard, 8 Whooper Swans, 2 Redshanks among a host of commoner species...



No comments: