Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, March 05, 2007

Capercaillie; Fullbromalm; 5th March 2007























News that a male Capercaillie was present at this site saw me make the trip south today. I was slightly tentative as I approached the site as I had been warned this bird had a reputation for being particularily aggressive and has no fear of humans.
I located this impressive bird almost immediately as it paraded alonside the road in full view. It proceeded to feed for a while, then did a short display and then began approaching birders! The bird persisted with this for ten minutes before strolling off int the woods and feeding as it went. It then returned and began to display. Astoundingly, it then furiously attacked a passing car, which I am told it does on regular occasion, before resuming feeding and wandering off into the forest.
This was the first male Capercaillie I have seen and was quite an experience, a fantastic beast! It seems as though this individual may be a loner and is not in an area one might associate with the species.It may have moved to the area from Tyresta National Park to the north. Occasional individual males of this species display aggressive, fearless behaviour during lekking season. In any event, this encounter will live long in my memory...
Other birds were noted including a Black Woodpecker, 2 Common Crossbill, 4 Willow Tit, 8 Crested Tit and Raven.
Videograbs below;