Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Friday, September 15, 2006

Landsort;15th September 2006





















A great days birding at a truly quality site that oozes birds... Started with lots of common migrants in the form of endless goldcrests, Robins, Chiff Chaff, Willow Warbler and a Lesser Whitethroat. After just an hour was alerted by the rattle of a Red-Breasted Flycatcher coming from a sheltered gully, a bit of patience and I was delighted to discover there were two in the same alder! An hour later I was amazed to see a Barred Warbler appear from the same alder to scold a perched Sparrowhawk. This bird promptly dissapeared and was not seen again.
Moved on, saw a superb juv. Goshawk atacking migrants over the southern tip of the island. The mid section of the island produced only a few more common migrants, Marsh Tits and 8 Great Crested Grebes. I learned another Red-Breasted Flycatcher had been caught and ringed at the bird station during the morning. An hour later I found another, unringed, north of the station!!
Back to the lighthouse in the evening for more views of the flycatchers.. While there a Dotterel flew south over head, calling constantly. More came in the form of juv. Hobby scattering flocks of White wagtails before 2 juv. Merlins appeared and gave each other chase before one settled on the rocks. A White Tailed eagle off the ferry on the way back against a glorious sunset brought the curtain down on a great day in the field...

Photos; Goosanders, Mute Swan Pair, Willow Warbler, Merlin

No comments: