Alan Dalton post's birding diaries and original artwork from Sweden. Established in 2006, this now long running blog is now a complete overview of my birding experiences. As an artist I greatly enjoy sketching birds in the field and you will find a wide selection of that work here, from fieldwork to finished paintings. I am very passionate about my artwork and try to depict birds in their natural habitat, as I see them in the wild. My artwork is for sale and can be viewed at http://www.alandalton.net/
As regards to my photography, since 2008 I have used a Nikon D90 DSLR camera coupled with a Sigma 150-500mm OS lens for since March 2012 for bird photography, all previous images being digiscoped. Regarding sound recording, I have been usung a Telinga Stereo Dat Mic and parabol to record birds in the field, coupled to a Marrantz 661 digital recorder, a superb piece of kit. Interest in butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies has recently seen the accquisition of a Sigma 150mm macro lens. I hope you enjoy the blog and please feel free to leave comments or contact me at alandltn@gmail.com

Monday, September 04, 2006

Angarn; 4th September 2006





























Got to the reserve at just after 8am. Almost straight away had stunning views of a Hen Harrier pair as they floated past me, the male a cracking bird. 350 Greylags are now on the reserve, picked out a single pair of Bean Goose from among them before a White Tailed Eagle sent the whole lot scattering all over the marsh. Wheatears, Red Backed Shrike, Whinchat, Tree Pipit and Hirundines all very much in evidence. Nice pair of Cranes gave decent views, as did 4 Marsh Harriers. No sign of Bluethroat today....
Did a lot of walking, picked up some common migrants and had more views of the male Hen Harrier. Day rounded of in style by 2 hobby juv.'s, one of which attacked a flock of White Wagtails with incredible speed, picking off a Wagtail in a snap second. An incredible sight.

Photos; Tufted Duck sketch, Crane, Bean Goose, Hobby, Hen Harrier, White Tailed Eagle, Whooper Swan, Wheatear.

1 comment:

Peregrine's Bird Blog said...

Hi Alan
I will send your best to Anthony McGeehan next saturday as he is spending week up in Donegal and I am joining him on the weekend. I would be interested in any wader sketch no real favourites. Maybe Godwit. What sort of price would you expect for it.I was thinking around £50. You let me know.
Best Regards
Craig